Lip Filler vs Botox: Which is Right For You?
Both lip fillers and Botox injections are filler treatments used in facial cosmetics and correctional practices. They’re minimally invasive procedures that improve facial symmetry and correct specific facial features an individual doesn’t see fit. As such, they’re a good way to avoid plastic surgery and still get the desired results.
There are some key differences between these filler treatments, mainly in the substance used as an injection. Lip fillers mostly use hyaluronic acid, while botox is a substance known otherwise as botulinum toxin. This toxin causes temporary paralysis in the muscles, which is how it works against wrinkles or for volumizing the upper lip.
Read further to discover how much these fillers cost, which filler treatment is more appropriate for specific occasions, as well as the possible side effects each substance involves.
The Lip Filler vs Botox Debate
There has been a debate about whether lip fillers or botox is the better option when it comes to voluminous lips. But in order to decide which is better for you, we need to compare the advantages and disadvantages of each.
Botox Lip Flip Procedure
Botox lip fillers are commonly known as a ‘lip flip’. This is because the botox lip injections relax the muscles around the upper lip, making it appear as if the internal soft tissue is being flipped upwards.
Though the botox lip injections are injected into the muscles around the mouth, targeting the oral commissures – where both lips meet in the cheek area and the upper edges of the lips (the vermillion border), they don’t maximize the volume of the lips.
Instead, they temporarily paralyze mouth corners and external muscles further relax, allowing the soft tissue of the upper lip to naturally puff outwards, naturally appearing bigger and more in shape.
For an average lip lift, botox is an affordable option to augment the appearance of the lips.
- Naturally volumizes lips and amplifies their shape
- Minimally invasive lip lift
- Botox costs less than lip fillers
- One of the safest and commonly used lip injections
- Cheaper than dermal fillers
- Lasts less than lip filler
- Complete results are visible within a week
- Momentairly feeling numbness, unable to move certain facial muscles after the injection
Lip fillers are facial injections which are designed to add volume to a specifically targeted area. They can be used for volumizing and contouring cheeks, reshaping the nose, or smoothening fine lines and wrinkles, but usually, hyaluronic acid-based fillers are used for lip enhancement.
Aside from the natural substance hyaluronic acid, lip fillers can also use other substances, such as collagen, calcium hydroxylapatite, or even poly-L-lactic acid.
Hyaluronic acid is the most commonly used substance for lip lifts because it has a natural ability to persist gravity, as well as hold 1,000 times its own weight.
As such, it’s a substance commonly used in facial cosmetics, creams, serums and even hair care products because it also works well for hydrating and retaining moisture. As such, lip filler treatment is expected to be a bit more expensive than botox, but at the same time – it provides longer-lasting results to top the price.
Lip Filler Pros
- Long lasting results
- Visible and increased lip volume
- You can control the size of your lips, depending on the amount of hyaluronic acid used
- The substance is naturally found in the human body, lowering the chances of allergies and adverse reactions
- Reversible! Using a special dissolver, HA fillers can be dissolved
Lip Filler Cons
- Lip fillers at costlier
- Possible bleeding in the injection area
For better insights, this table includes the differences and common remarks of each dermal filler.
|Dermal Fillers||Botox Treatment|
|Substance Used||Hyaluronic Acid||Neurotoxin called botulinum toxin|
|Best Solution for||So called “static wrinkles”, caused by a deficit of collagen production||“Dynamic wrinkles” which are caused by repetitive facial movements (smiling, kissing, eating)|
|Principle of Working||Skin smoothening and volumizing||First relaxes muscles, allowing a natural elevation afterwards|
|Best Targeted Areas||
|Appearance||Puffy and pumped||Natural and soft volumenizing|
|Cost||$800-$2000 per treated area||$200 – $500 per treated area|
|Usual Lasting Time||From 1 year – 18 months||3 months|
What Are the Possible Risks From the Procedures?
Those “Angelina Jolie” lips can cost more than just the dollar price you pay. Though these treatments are not surgical procedures, they are still invasive procedures where an external substance gets injected inside your body.
Here are some of the most common downsides of using lip fillers or botox injections for lip lifting.
- Numbness and swelling
- Bleeding in the injection site
- Dicoloroation / bruises
- Dead cells and/or tissue (vascular compromise) which can occur if the injection hits an artery
- Asymmetrical lips (both upper and lower lip and both upper lip sides)
- Lip fillers can migrate towards the nose, causing pumped philtrum lines as well
- Headaches and migraines (mostly due to the anesthesia wearing off)
- Feeling of nausea, which is a common reaction to external materials or anesthesia for some body types
All of these possible side effects usually wear off a day or two after the procedure but can last for a whole week, until the results from the treatment take their maximal visual effect.
However, avoiding uncomfortable situations can be easily achieved just by seeking proper medical advice from a doctor prior to performing such treatments.
What’s The Right Treatment For You?
There’s no clear winner in the lip filler vs botox injections debate. When it comes to choosing a treatment, it’s always the subjective taste and what is appealing to the individual.
However, here are some questions to ask yourself before choosing one procedure or the other:
- What are your goals and expectations?
- Are you looking for a more subtle natural look?
- Are you comfortable with spending $600+ on corrective beauty procedures?
- Are you looking for a one-time lip enhancement, or are you aiming for long-lasting results?
And for those who have really thin, almost invisible lips, combining both techniques can result in amazing effects. This is because lip fillers give volume and contour to the natural mouth and lip shape, but the botox shots add up for that plumpy internal lip effect, allowing for a more natural facial appearance.
If you are looking for a lip flip near me in Livingston New Jersey schedule an appointment with us, we have the best personalized treatment options for you.